Wednesday 7 March 2018

A little bit of sunshine

I know I haven't published a blog for a long time, but here goes:


Geckos are small colourful lizards found in tropical countries.

They seem to smile and their antics can be quite hilarious.

My sketch below:



They are usually nocturnal creatures, but on my recent trip to Hawaii I saw lots that were active during the daytime.

They bask in the early morning sunshine, but are wary of movement close by and alert for the presence of the resident cats.




I don't know the name of this tree but the flowers are very popular with small birds and if you look carefully you will also see at least two geckos:


When I took this picture I didn't realise the geckos were on the flower; it was when I reviewed my pictures that I spotted them. I think it is the nectar that attracts them, they also eat fruit, small insects and worms.

Here is a larger picture:


And one more:


These gekkos are bright greens with red markings, they stand out against the side of the building but blend into the foliage very well.

Here is a gecko napping in the afternoon sun, one eye a little bit open, just in case.


The long tail helps it balance but it also has small "hooks" on its toes that act like suction cups and allow it to walk (cling) almost anywhere. They are quite adept at running across the ceiling.

So I had become accustomed to seeing them almost anywhere.

BUT..
one afternoon after a brief cloudburst I returned to our rental car and looked up to see a gecko on my windscreen licking up the raindrops. 
I gawked for some time before I thought of getting out my phone to record the performance.

Island life is relaxing and there was no rush, so I let the gecko "finish" cleaning up the windscreen and move on before I started the car with a big grin on my face.

Here is my video, "Hawaiian Windscreen Wiper":



Editing this was a real challenge, but I am happy with how it turned out.

................................................................

Here are two recent watercolour paintings:

Evening Kayaks:


"Lantern among the Ferns":




That's all I have for you today, happy Wednesday,

with whimsy,

Gillian.



1 comment: